Plan for Parks
What is the Plan for Parks?
The Plan for
Parks is a 10-year blueprint for guiding management of
Alberta's parks system to:
- ensure sustainability of our natural landscapes;
- enhance recreational opportunities; and
- improve quality of life for Albertans.
How was the Plan for Parks Developed?
for Parks was developed through a collaborative process. It was
based on consultation with Aboriginal groups, stakeholder
organizations, park visitors, MLAs, government staff and others.
The result is a plan that changes the way Alberta's parks are
managed. The Plan for Parks was released in April 2009.
What is the vision set out in the Plan for
Alberta's parks inspire people to discover, value, protect and
enjoy the natural world and the benefits it provides for current
and future generations.
What are the four key strategies of the Plan for Parks?
- Involve Albertans
- Offer modern facilities, policies and programs
- Provide recreation opportunities
- Conserve landscapes
What priority actions will be taken to achieve the
Strategy #1 - Involve Albertans
- Implement a regional planning model
- Create a Parks Advisory Council
- Engage Aboriginal communities
- Develop a process for nominating new provincial parks
- Ensure accountability through milestones and deliverables
- Diversify existing volunteer programs and partnerships
Strategy #2 - Offer modern facilities, policies and
- Develop a central reservation system
- Upgrade, restore and expand park facilities
- Refine the parks classification system
Strategy #3 - Provide recreation
- Identify and develop opportunities for recreation
- Encourage interest and opportunities in parks
- Implement an inclusion strategy to enhance visitor
Strategy #4 - Conserve Landscapes
- Facilitate contributions to parks
- Balance in the parks system
- Foster evidence-based decision-making
Details on these priority actions are found on pages 22-26 of
the Plan for
How is the Plan for Parks aligned with Alberta's Land-use
- The Plan for Parks shares the outcomes of the Land-use Framework.
- It also uses the Land-use Framework geopgraphic
What progress has been made on the Plan for Parks?
What are the next steps under the Plan for Parks?
Under the Plan for Parks, we will be guided by:
- Albertans's views of how to appropriately manage parks in their
- what science tells us is good for the land.
There are several priority actions highlighted in
the Plan for
- Improvements to the parks system will make it easier for
visitors to understand what kinds of experiences are available in
different kinds of parks.
- Upgrades and additions to campgrounds, facilities and programs
will be safe, modern and accessible.
- These changes, plus the online campground reservation system, will
enable visitors to better plan their park experiences.
- Science-based research and better management plans
will reduce impacts on the land and protect the
- Through Land-use Framework regional planning processes,
the province is working to secure new land to fill gaps in
Alberta's parks system.
- Safe and responsible recreation opportunities and policies will