Management & Land-use
Guiding & Instruction
- A guiding and instruction permit is required by anyone who
- Acts as a guide to lead or guide persons on recreational trips
for a fee; or
- Conducts a course of instruction in a park for a fee.
- Examples of activities requiring a guiding and instruction
permit include GUIDED hikes, cross-country skiing trips,
cycling trips, ecotourism and adventure-tourism activities.
- An application must be submitted at least
- 60 days prior to the preferred start date for parks in Kananaskis
- 30 days prior to the preferred start date for other parks
- Note: it is strongly recommended that applications be
submittted at least 90 days in advance.
- Application form for guiding or instructing an outdoor
- Kananskis Country has special group use
limits on some popular and sensitive trails to ensure
large groups do not negatively impact the trails, wildlife or the
enjoyment of other users. All commercial
guides/instructors and schools or groups doing independent field
trips should confirm group size limits before
applying for a permit.
- The application must include
- A completed application for a guiding or instructing
- Proof of valid liability insurance (minimum $2,000,000 per
- Proof of guide/instructor certification requirements; and
- Guiding and instruction permit
- If the activity is approved, a permit with operating conditions
will be issued.
- Complete the appropriate application for a guiding or
- Submit the application to the Parks Division contact
responsible for the park in question.