Bear Closure -
Cougar Creek and surrounding area, from BURNCO pit area to Harvey Heights
October 11, 2019
- Effective Date: October 11, 2019 until further notice
- Where: Area surrounding Cougar Creek, from BURNCO pit area to Harvey Heights. Including but not limited to the following trails: Cougar Creek, Grotto Mountain, Horseshoe Loop, Lady MacDonald, Echo Canyon, Montane Traverse, Johnny’s Trail, Meander Trail, Tidbits Quarry, Harvey Heights Ridge Traverse, Mount Charles Stewart and Outlier. See Map
- Why: Grizzly bear sow and cubs made contact with hiker resulting in the deployment of bear spray
Although an advisory is in place for this area, bears can be encountered anywhere in the Kananaskis Region at any time. To avoid a surprise encounter with a bear:
- Make plenty of noise and travel in groups.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look and listen for bears and their signs.
- Keep your pet on a leash.
- Carry bear spray. Make sure it’s easily accessible, and know how to use bear spray.
- Learn more about bear safety on our webpage or at WildSmart.
Please report all bear sightings immediately to 403-591-7755.
Map of Affected Area