Do you enjoy working outdoors? Alberta Parks is currently seeking an enthusiastic and outdoor-oriented person to assist with the management of our natural landscapes. This position is approximately four months in duration and scheduled to start late April or early May.
||Vegetation Management Crew Lead
Natural Resources 5
||Lac La Biche
|Rate of Pay:
(Plus 11.2% in lieu of benefits and holidays)
||March 15, 2019
- Oversee vegetation management of terrestrial invasive plants as listed by the Weed Control Act, which may include hand picking, digging, weed whipping, spot herbicide application, and other management techniques
- Keep complete pesticide application records
- Assist in coordinating contracts, where required
- Safely provide oversight and supervision of field assistant
- Safely operate a truck, trailer and OHV
- Utilize various pieces of equipment including gas-powered weed whipper, back-pack sprayer, truck with applicator system, trailer, GPS unit, IPad, and computer
- Efficiently plan day-to-day activities and adaptively manage based on weather conditions, public access and use, etc.
- Monitor and collect invasive species data using an IPad
- Submit an end-of-season report
- Possess a valid Alberta Landscape Pesticide Applicator Certification prior to commencing employment
- Experience working outdoors and with a variety of equipment related to vegetation management, including hand held GPS' and IPad's for data collection
- Ability to demonstrate strong problem solving abilities
- Strong motivation and dependability
- Excellent communication, organization, and teamwork skills
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite)
- Recognized OHV certification
- Valid Class 5 Operator's License
- Recognized current Standard First Aid Certificate
- Current CPR Level "C" Certificate / AED
- Defensive Driving Certificate (within three years)
- Minimum of one year of post-secondary study with courses or major in environmental, ecological, or agricultural sciences or equivalent field experience
- Knowledge of the Alberta Parks System and Invasive Plant Management
- Related experience to the posted position
- Previous leadership and/or supervisory experience
- Physical ability to work outdoors in adverse conditions with required equipment
- Experience in using ArcMap to generate maps and review GPS data
Terms of Employment
- The position is based in Lac La Biche, with the potential for overnight stays at various parks in the Northeast Region
- Working outdoors in a variety of weather conditions is common.
- Final candidate will be required to provide a copy of their driver's abstract
How to Apply
It is preferred that you email your application (resume, cover letter and any other documents in one MS Word file or PDF). Please ensure that this document is saved using the naming convention of your last then first name (Smith,Joe_Resume).
When you submit your resume, please specify which job and location you are applying for in the subject line: "Vegetation Management Crew Lead - Lac La Biche."
Alberta Environment & Parks
P.O Box 1019, 9503 Beaverhill Road, 2nd Floor Provincial Bldg.
Lac La Biche, Alberta
We thank all candidates for their interest. However, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.