Recommended Route to Dinosaur Provincial Park
Lat: 50.753727 Long: -111.527979 | Directions
Dinosaur Provincial Park is NOT located at Drumheller, Alberta. Brooks is the closest city, located on the Trans-Canada Highway #1. The park is located 48 km northeast of Brooks and 18 km from the village of Patricia. From Dinosaur Provincial Park, it is at least a two-hour drive to the town of Drumheller and the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology.
To drive to Dinosaur Provincial Park, we recommend that you take the route through Brooks, Alberta.
- From Brooks, go north on Highway 873 for approximately 11 kilometres.
- Then turn east (right) onto Highway 544 towards the hamlets of Patricia and Jenner. Continue for approximately 14 kilometres.
- Follow the large blue Dinosaur Provincial Park signs.
- Turn north (left) on P.R. #130 at the Dinosaur Country Store (which has a dinosaur statue.) Note that this Store/gas station is CLOSED. The closest fuel is at Brooks or Duchess.
- P.R. #130 is two-lane paved tertiary roadway.
- Most GPS programs contain data only for primary and secondary routes. P.R. #130 will probably not display.
- Continue north for 5 kilometres to the four-way stop.
- Turn east (right) at the stop sign. Follow the paved road for approximately 15 kilometres along the Little Sandhill Creek coulee.
- There are three flags at the Dinosaur Provincial Park entrance - Canada, Alberta and UNESCO World Heritage Site. At the top of the hill/entrance, there is also a magnificent viewpoint with an information kiosk.
- Continue down the hill into the park's facility zone.
- The visitor centre and campground are located down from the viewpoint.
- Parking for the visitor centre is in the large concession parking lot. It is a short walk up the gravel trail to the centre.
If you're coming from the north, you will probably connect to Highway 544 via Highway 36.
If you're coming from the east, we do NOT recommend taking Highway 876 north of Tilley between the Trans-Canada Highway and Patricia.
As Dinosaur Provincial Park is located in the countryside, we do not have an "address" as such. The co-ordinates to use in GPS systems are - Latitude: 50.7537 | Longitude: -111.528
The closest fuels stations are at Brooks (48 km) or the town of Duchess (34 km).