Alberta Parks

Looking for information on...

Camping Reservations
Tents & Trailers
Allowed / Campsite
Pets in Parks
Dogs in Parks


  • What disabled/accessible facilities are available?

    • William Watson Lodge in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park provides accommodation for Albertans with disabilities in accessible cabins and campsites. It also has barrier-free trails for hiking and cross-country skiing, barrier-free picnic sites and barrier-free fishing areas.
    • Accessible campsites are identified on  Select Disabled Access under "Amenities - Campsite" when searching. Check our full list of disabled accessible campsites available for online reservation. 
    • Disabled accessibility is indicated on the campground page (e.g. Miquelon Lake Campground), including any additional information in the notes. 
    • Alberta Parks is currently performing accessibility audits in parks to determine if trails, facilities, day use areas and experiences are accessible. The data collected helps identify the need for infrastructure updates in high use areas. The auditing process also supports the creation of an inventory of accessible experiences to share with visitors. 
    • Motorized personal mobility devices (motorized wheelchairs, electric mobility scooters, etc.) are allowed on any trails in parks.
    • Service dogs are welcome in parks (including in park facilities) as long as they are on a leash. 
    • Inclusion & Accessibility has more information on our efforts to remove barriers, support inclusion and increase capacity.

Accommodation Units and Vehicles

  • What size of campsite do I need?

    • The camping unit size is the complete camping equipment, including any tow vehicle.
    • It is your responsibility to choose a site that will accommodate your unit. Use the photos on the campsite details pop-up to determine if the site can accommodate slide-outs and which side the firepit is on.

  • How many people, vehicles and tents/RVs are allowed per campsite?


    • The maximum number of camping accommodation units, motor vehicles and towed equipment allowed on a campsite is three (and only two of these may be used as sleeping quarters (accommodation units).
    • If two tents are used as sleeping quarters (accommodation units), two motor vehicles, or one motor vehicle and one piece of towed equipment are permitted on the campsite if it is large enough.  
    • The camping fee is charged for each accommodation unit on a campsite, unless one or both of the accommodation units on a campsite are tents. 
    • A campsite must be large enough to accommodate the maximum number of allowable units. Depending on a campsite's design and dimensions, the campground may decide that only one camping accommodation unit is permitted. Call the campground directly to find out if a second unit will be permitted upon check-in.


    • Camping accommodation unit is defined as a tent, tent trailer, trailer, fifth wheel, motorhome, van or truck camper, converted bus, travel trailer, or other motorized accommodation unit, used by a person as shelter equipment while camping.


    • No more than six people may occupy a campsite unless they are all members of the same single-family unit.

Backcountry Camping

Booking Window

  • What is a booking window?

    The booking window states when campsites will be available to reserve. It is expressed as the number of days prior to your arrival date that you may book at a location.   

    Different camping types have different rolling booking windows:

    • Individual Campsites: 90 day booking window
    • Backcountry Camping: 90 day booking window
    • Group Camping Areas: 180 day booking window
    • Comfort Camping units: 180 day booking window

    A rolling booking window allows you to book a reservation within a specified range. The date that can be reserved will update each day at 9 a.m.

    • For example, with a 90 day rolling booking window (offered for individual campsites and backcountry camping):
      • February 1 you could reserve out to May 2. 
      • February 2 you could reserve out to May 3.
    • For example, with a 180 day rolling booking window (offered for group camping areas and comfort camping reservations):
      • February 1 you could reserve out to July 31.
      • February 2 you could reserve out to August 1.

  • Why does the booking window reset at 9:00 a.m. each day?

    • In order to provide equal opportunity for all users to reserve a campsite (either online or phone-in bookings), the booking window resets at 9:00 a.m.  This morning reset time ensures that the Contact Centre (1-877-537-2757) is open to assist callers. 

  • Why are some campsites reserved beyond the available booking date?

    There is no guarantee that your desired reservation dates will be available once the booking window opens due to a few possible reasons:

    • The booking window only applies to the day of arrival. The reservation’s arrival date must be within the designated booking window before a reservation can be made.  Once you can select your arrival date, you can book up to the next 10 days. For example, on January 31 a visitor could reserve May 1-10 (start date falls within the booking window) but not May 8-10 (start date falls outside the booking window). 
    • The campground is not yet open for reservations. The campground may not be open for your specified dates. Opening dates are listed here.
    • The campground or specific campsites are closed for set time periods. Closures may be in place for a variety of reasons including but not limited to: Infrastructure upgrades (I.E. installation of power), campsite issues (I.E. flooding, tree down), park events, environmental education.


  • What if I forget to bring my permit or reservation confirmation ?

    • At a staffed campground, registration booth staff will assist you.
    • At a self-registration campground, there may be no staff to assist you. It is important to print and bring your permit for these campgrounds. Staff will verify your reservation when they patrol the campground.
    • If you cannot print the permit, note the campsite number/group camping area of your reservation so you know which campsite/area to occupy.

  • I will arrive after check-in time/the registration booth is closed. What should I do?

    • Arrive before 11:00 p.m. if possible. Quiet hours are 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.
    • Proceed directly to your assigned campsite. Register when the booth re-opens in the morning.
    • If you don't have your permit or site number, staff will often post late arrival instructions at the registration booth.
    • It is especially important to print and bring your permit for self-registration campgrounds as there are no staff on site.
    • You do not have to call the Contact Centre unless your arrival time will be after 2:00 p.m. of the day following your scheduled arrival date.

  • I arrived a day late. Why was my campsite given to another camper?

    • Reserved campsites are held until 2:00 p.m. of the day following your scheduled arrival date.
    • If you reserved at a campground on and your arrival will be after 2:00 p.m. of the day following your scheduled arrival date, phone the Contact Centre at 1-877-537-2757. Inform the Contact Centre of your estimated arrival time. We make every effort to accommodate campers who provide notification of late arrival.
    • If you don't notify us of your late arrival, you are considered a "no show" and your reservation is cancelled. Up to four nights camping fees will be forfeited depending on the length of your stay.  Any remaining camping fees will be refunded. The reservation fee is not refunded.

Comfort Camping

  • What is included in a comfort camping unit?

    • Each location offers different types of units. It is important to check comfort camping for detailed information on each specific park.
    • The page for each comfort camping location details what is included, what to bring and the rules.

  • What is the booking window for comfort camping?

    • Comfort camping reservations can be made up to 180 days in advance of the scheduled arrival date.

  • I'll be late in arriving for my comfort camping reservation. What should I do?

    Arriving on your scheduled arrival date but after the registration booth is closed

    • Arrangements for a late arrival for comfort camping unit reservations should be made directly with the campground.
    • In most cases, you will be required to check-in first thing in the morning.
    •  Arrive before 11:00 pm if possible. Quiet hours are 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.

    Arriving after 2:00 pm of the day following your scheduled arrival date

    • Call the Contact Centre at 1-877-537-2757 to advise of your estimated arrival time. We make every effort to accommodate campers who provide notification of late arrival.
    • If you don't notify us of your late arrival, you are considered a "no show" and your reservation is cancelled. Up to four nights comfort camping fees will be forfeited, depending on the length of the stay. Any remaining comfort camping fees will be refunded to the credit card used for the original transaction. The reservation fee is non-refundable.

  • Can I reserve a comfort camping unit on behalf of friends or family?

    • Yes.  Bookings for others must be within the limit of 4 reservations per transaction. 
    • All reservations made during one session are considered one financial transaction. For that reason, only one credit card is accepted.
    • Account holders are responsible for the actions of all camping party members.  
    • If the account holder will not be camping, they must ensure that the camper details are accurate and/or allow the alternate to be listed as their pre-authorized designate to ensure registration can be completed upon arrival at the campground.

  • Can I put an additional tent or trailer at the comfort camping unit site?

    • Additional tents or trailers are NOT allowed on or near comfort camping unit sites.
    • The exception to this rule is Sir Winston Churchill Provincial Park which allows one additional camping unit per cabin.  This unit must be registered and will be charged the regular camping fee.   

  • Are pets allowed in the comfort camping units?

    • Pets are NOT allowed in or around comfort camping unit sites.
    • At Sir Winston Churchill Provincial Park, pets are NOT allowed in the cabins, with the exception of cabins #8 and #9 which are designated pet friendly cabins. Guests will be charged an additional $20 per day for pets.

Cross-Country Skiing

  • Where can I get trail reports and other cross-country ski information?

    • Check Trail Reports for info on conditions and trail maps at several parks.
    • Our cross-country skiing section has lots of great info including profiles of six ski centres. 
      • Kananaskis Country has many ski trails for all levels of skiers.  
      • The world-class Canmore Nordic Centre is located just outside Canmore.
      • Close to Edmonton, check out Cooking Lake-Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area.
      • Vermilion Provincial Park has a great cross-country ski trail system and is about 2 hours east of Edmonton. 
      • Hinton Nordic Centre is located in William A. Switzer Provincial Park. 
      • Cypress Hills Provincial Park has cross-country trails - and lots of other winter activities.
    • We have other great areas to ski too!
      • In the Southwest, try Beauvais Lake Provincial Park near Pincher Creek or Chinook Provincial Recreation Area in the Crowsnest Pass. Check the Allison-Chinook ski report by Crowsnest Pass Cross Country Ski Association.
      • Central Alberta has plenty of kilometres of cross-country ski trails suitable for all ski levels and techniques and  Enjoy an afternoon skiing along the shoreline at Miquelon Lake Provincial Park or wind through the 20 km of backcountry trails. You can even do skijoring here (skiing with dogs)! Miquelon is located about an hour from Edmonton or 40 minutes from Camrose. Pigeon Lake Provincial Park is also very close to Edmonton - about 1.5 hours south.  The park has 10 km of groomed cross-country ski trails - great for beginners but also a relaxing ski opportunity for more advanced skiers.  Check the Pigeon Lake Nordic Ski Club's cross-country ski trail condition updates.
      • Cross-country ski trails in Lakeland Provincial Park are located in the Shaw Lake area, about a 20 minute drive from Lac La Biche.
    • To find other parks with cross-country skiing opportunities, check "XC Skiing" in Find a Park.


  • Can I use my UAV/drone?

    • No – recreational use of an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) or drone is not allowed in the provincial parks system. 
    • In certain circumstances, UAVs may be allowed for research purposes or commercial filming.  Check Use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles for permit and other requirements.

Fall-Winter Camping


  • How much does camping cost?

    • The basic overnight camping fee ranges from $8 to $31 per night (fee guidelines).
    • Campground managers set fees within this range based on local market conditions.
    • Additional fees of up to $8 per night are charged for each of the following: pressurized water hook-ups, electrical hook-ups, sewer hook-ups, non-coin operated showers and horse corrals.
    • There is a non-refundable $12 reservation fee for online reservations.
    • The "Camping" page for a specific park shows the rate per night at each campground (e.g. Beauvais Lake Campground or Bow Valley Provincial Park).
    • To access the "Camping" page for a campground, type the name into the "Search" function in Find A Park and then click on the "Facility" name. If there is more than one campground in the park, click on "Camping" in the left hand navigation list for a summary of all them.

  • Do seniors get a discount on camping fees?

    • Alberta Parks is committed to implementing senior's discounts on camping fees. Further details on how this will occur will be shared publicly in the coming months, following a review of existing policies and procedures.
    • Where currently available, the senior discount for people aged 65 or older is usually $2 per night. Some campgrounds offer a $1 per night discount. Age verification may be required at check-in.
    • For campgrounds offering a senior discount that take online reservations, the senior discount is applied at check-in. A senior discount cannot be applied when the reservation is made. 
    • Alberta Parks also has lots of camping options which offer varied experiences at price-points beginning at $0. Please check our Low Cost Camping Options page for details.

  • Why are camping fees different at some campgrounds?

    • Individual campground operators set fees within this range of $8 to $31 per night based on local market conditions.
    • Additional fees of up to $8 per night are charged for each of the following services
      • Pressurized water hook-ups
      • Electrical hook-ups
      • Sewer hook-ups
      • Non-coin operated showers
      • Horse corrals
    • Fee Guidelines

Fires and Firewood

  • Where can I find out about fire bans?

    We provide notification of both fire bans and fire advisories in provincial parks.

    • A fire ban is imposed for an extreme fire hazard.
    • A fire restriction is imposed for a high fire hazard.

    Check Fire Bans & Restrictions for details about what is prohibited and permitted under a fire ban or restriction.  You can view current bans and restrictions either on a map or by "List View".  A fire ban or restriction is also displayed on individual park webpages. is the website for fire bans and advisories for the whole province.

  • How do I get firewood at a park?

    Firewood Sold Icon This icon means that firewood is sold.  Sometimes firewood is sold from a central location, either in the park or in the area.  In other locations, a contractor delivers wood at scheduled times.  Authorized suppliers provide firewood at Alberta's parks. Firewood prices at parks vary due to transportation costs and the supplier's source.

    Firewood Available Icon This icon means that firewood is available at the campground.  A surcharge is usually added to each overnight camping fee for this service.  To locate parks offering firewood this way, check "Firewood Available" in the Camping list in Find a Park.

    The Information & Facilities page for a specific campground indicates how firewood is provided (e.g. Brewer's Campground or Chambers Creek Campground). 

    Firewood alert! Help stop the spread of forest pests, Dutch elm disease and emerald ash borer.

    • Buy firewood locally, burn on site and never bring home.
    • Do not transport elm firewood into Alberta (because of Dutch elm disease and emerald ash borer).
    • Do not transport pine firewood if it’s known to be infested by live mountain pine beetles.
    • Respect the health and enjoyment of adjacent campers by using clean wood (not painted or otherwise pressure/chemically treated).
    • Ensure that wood is cut to short lengths so a fire can be contained within the provided fire receptacles.
    • Be prepared with alternate ways of cooking and staying warm in case a fire ban or restriction is implemented.


Group Camping

Hiker-Cyclist Camping

  • What is Hiker-Cyclist camping?

    • Hiker-cyclists are recreationists who under their own power and without the support of a motorized vehicle, travel through Kananaskis region.
    • Kananaskis established hiker-cyclist camping areas in Spray Valley Provincial Park and Peter Lougheed Provincial Park along the High Rockies Trail. These areas include:

    • specific details such as of the length of stay vary for each site.
    • facilities may include food storage lockers, bicycle maintenance tool stands, washrooms and self-registration kiosks
    • Hiker-cyclists may always stay at other campgrounds. Some campgrounds are first-come, first serve; some campgrounds are on the reservation system.
    • For 2021, the rate per night is $31.

Individual Campsite Reservations

  • I am trying to book a site with a rental vehicle and I don't know the license plate?

    If a rental vehicle's license plate number is unknown upon reservation, enter RENTAL in the license plate field.

    Once you know the license plate number, update it online on your account or via our Alberta Parks Contact Centre at 1-877-537-2757. There is no charge to update camper details (email, license plate number, number of campers, etc.).

  • How far in advance can I make a reservation?

    • Reservations for campsites can be made up to 90 days before the desired arrival date to provide fair and equitable access to reservation services at high-use campgrounds.
    • Visit the online reservations listing for details. Click on a specific campground for further information including the opening and closing dates.

  • Why did the power go out while camping?

    • Alberta Parks campsites have different power options (15 amp, 20 amp, 30 amp and 50 amp) in the power serviced campsites.
    • Do not use adapters to draw power from a lower amp outlet for an RV that requires a higher amp plug. For example, do not attempt to draw power from a 15 amp outlet for an RV with a 30 amp plug. Powered sites have a limit to their capacity.
    • Campers lose power, in the majority of cases, when too much electricity is being used at once.  Just like at home, when a circuit overloads a circuit breaker will immediately shut off to prevent an electrical fire.
    • Plan to only use one or two electrical appliances at the same time, particularly during extremely hot days when many visitors are using air conditioning.  Running the RV air conditioning full time, will reduce the amount of electricity that can be used for other things.
    • If the circuit breaker shuts off, reduce the number of electrical appliances in use before you reset it.  For example, it is not possible to have air conditioning running continuously during hot days, and also use a microwave, water pump or television.
    • To prevent a circuit breaker from shutting off, prioritize what and when electrical appliances are in use.
    • Have a back-up plan in case you do lose power, to ensure you can cook, stay cool and enjoy your camping experience.
    • Conserving electricity, and timing when you use your electricity in a campsite will ensure you can stay powered.

  • How can I contact a specific campground?

    • Campground phone numbers lists all the information numbers.
    • This phone number may connect to a Visitor Information Centre, or a facility operator or an Alberta Parks office.  (The Government of Alberta owns all provincial campgrounds but contracts out some campground operations and services.)
    • The "Information & Facilities" page for each park include an information number (near the top under the name in green font), e.g. Williamson Provincial Park.  
    • To access the "Information & Facilities" page for a campground, type the name into the "Search" function in Find A Park and then click on the park name. 

  • Why is there a 10-night reservation limit at provincial campgrounds?

    • To provide fair and equitable access to camping opportunities, campers can now book a maximum of 10 consecutive nights per reservation.
    • This update will help reduce booking changes, overbooking and no-shows, which will give more Albertans the opportunity to experience camping in our provincial parks.
    • Campers can stay for a total of 16 consecutive nights; however, multiple reservation must be made.  The maximum stay in a group camping area continues to be five (5) consecutive nights.


  • When is the camping season?

    • Most campgrounds are open from mid-May to the end of September.  Click on a specific campground in the online reservations listing for details on its operating season.
    • Some campgrounds offer First Come-First Served campsites. These sites display in a purple colour on the map on

  • Can I reserve a campsite on behalf of friends or family?

    • Yes; however, bookings for others must be within the limit of 4 reservations per transaction. 
    • All reservations made during one session are considered one financial transaction. For that reason, only one credit card is accepted.
    • Account holders are responsible for the actions of all camping party members.
    • If the account holder will not be camping, they must ensure that the camper details are accurate and/or allow the alternate to be listed as their pre-authorized designate to ensure registration can be completed upon arrival at the campground.
    • Groups requiring more than 4 campsites should consider booking a group camping area.

  • How can I best ensure I get a campsite?

    Reservations online or 1-877-537-2757.  

    • Reservations for individual campsites can be made up to 90 days in advance of the arrival date.  Group camping area and comfort camping reservations can be made up to 180 days in advance of the arrival date.
    • If there are no campsites available when you first try to reserve on, check back occasionally. Changes and cancellations often happen. 
    • Check other reservation tips.
    • Some campgrounds not on the online reservation service take phone reservations directly. Please call the campground office to reserve phone-in only reservation campgrounds

    First come-first served

    • Many campgrounds have some first come-first served campsites and some campgrounds are "first come-first served" only.
    • First come-first served lists all campgrounds and the number campsites that are first come-first served.

    Better availability

    • Availability is generally better
      • Mid-Week: Mondays to Thursdays
      • Spring (May & June) and Fall (September & October) - not including long weekends
    • Phone 1-877-537-2757 during regular office hours for suggestions regarding lesser-used provincial campgrounds.

  • How does self-registration at a campground work?

    • Find an available campsite when you arrive at the campground. Ensure that the campsite is First Come-First Served (not reservable). If a campsite is reservable and unoccupied, either call the Contact Centre at 1-877-537-2757 to check availability or register at the campground booth.
    • For a First Come-First Served campsite, follow the instructions posted at the self-registration vault.
    • If there is no self-registration vault available, register the campsite through the campground booth or by calling the Contact Centre at 1-877-537-2757.
    • At a self-registration vault, you can pay for your campsite with cash or a personal cheque (payable instructions as indicated on the vault).
    • VISA/MC/AMEX/Debit are accepted payments at open campground booths 
    • VISA/MC/AMEX are accepted payment types via the Contact Centre for campgrounds that are reservable through and do not have a campground booth in the park.
    • Please follow the directions provided at the campground through signage.

  • What is a shared campsite?

    Shared (Double) Campsites
    • Shared campsites are two campsites that are very close together and may share a firepit.
    • They are suitable for camping parties that want to camp together.
    • Each campsite can be booked separately.
    • If you only book one campsite, you may have to share the firepit with a neighbour.

Liquor and Cannabis

  • Where can I drink liquor?

    • In accordance with the Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Act: Consumption of liquor is restricted to campsites, and to some specifically designated provincial day use area picnic sites where liquor is permitted.
    • People can now enjoy an alcoholic beverage of their choice in select day-use area picnic sites from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
    • The Alberta government rescinded the liquor ban in provincial parks to allow responsible adults to freely enjoy a beverage of their choice in their registered campsite during the 2019 May long weekend.
      • Rules and regulations around campground quiet hours, excessive noise and appropriate behavior continue to be in place. See the News Release for details.
    • The Alberta government is making it easier to get a liquor license for special events in our parks and later this summer will expand opportunities for adults to enjoy a glass of wine or a beer in select day use area picnic sites. See the News Release for details.
    • Even though the vast majority of Albertans who enjoy our parks do so responsibly, we will make sure we have enforcement in place so those few who might take things too far get dealt with, and everyone can have a great time enjoying nature. See the News Release for details.

  • Where can I use cannabis?

    • Cannabis use at Alberta Parks sites aligns with the Alberta Cannabis Framework.
    • All applicable federal and provincial cannabis legislation within Alberta’s provincial parks will be enforced.
    • Alberta Parks’ adult visitors may consume cannabis in their registered campsites (including in RVs being used as a temporary residence in a registered campsite) and in public areas where tobacco is permitted.
    • Cannabis use is not allowed in motorized vehicles (i.e. cars, trucks, SUVs and vans).
    • Smoking and vaping cannabis is also prohibited in any area where smoking tobacco is prohibited (such as within 5 meters of washrooms).
    • Cannabis smoking and vaping is prohibited within 5 meters of playgrounds, sports or playing fields (e.g. bike skills park), outdoor theatres (e.g. outdoor public education amphitheatres) and outdoor pools or splash pads (e.g. Sikome Aquatic Facility).
    • As a reminder, all other park regulations apply, including quiet hours.
    • Alberta Parks will monitor impacts that legal cannabis use has within our parks system, including impacts to our visitors.
    • Conservation officers are the primary enforcement authority within provincial parks and they will address inappropriate/unsafe behaviour stemming from cannabis use.
    • Alberta Parks’ primary concerns are the safety and enjoyment of visitors, and compliance with provincial parks rules and regulations.
    • Alberta Parks will continue to encourage visitors to be respectful of others in the parks so that their behaviour and choices have a minimal impact on others. 

    More info: 



  • Can I scatter cremated remains/ashes?

    • Yes, cremated remains/ashes can be scattered in an Alberta Park.
      • Permission to scatter cremated remains/ashes is not required.
    • Ashes must be fully incinerated and dispersed away from waterbodies and areas with high human use (campgrounds, picnic sites, day use areas, buildings, trails, roads, etc.).
    • No permanent markers, flowers or other physical memorials may be left behind.
    • Please do not release flowers on flowing waters as it could potentially introduce invasive species to a variety of habitats in the watershed.
    • Visit the Scattering of Cremated Remains page for more information.

  • Can I use a metal detector?

    There are no laws prohibiting the use of metal detectors in the public areas of provincial parks as long as the activity isn’t interfering with the enjoyment of the other park visitors, breaking any of our other regulations, or in any way threatening any of the wildlife in the park.

    Metal detectors can be used in the province’s parks, provided that:

    • They are only used on beaches and similar disturbed areas (where digging will not affect the natural ecosystem/habitat). In disturbed areas that are being excavated under a research permit, these areas are closed-off from the public to prevent recreational digging
    • No historic resources are damaged or removed
    • No items are removed from the park
    • All items of value (historical or monetary) are turned over to the local park office
    • They are used for recreation and not for commercial purposes
    • Their use doesn’t violate other laws, such as interfering with a person’s quiet enjoyment in the park. People operating metal detectors are encouraged to use an earpiece/headphones to reduce the likelihood of the noise disturbing others.


    As in the case of other park users, a person can expect to encounter officers who will inquire about the activities being conducted and require them to identify themselves and their occupation.

    In order to dig for historical resources, a person requires an excavation permit issued by the Parks Division under the Historical Resources Act; this permit is associated with archeological or paleontological research permit. In some locations the excavated items are likely to remain in the park for research and storage; in situations where an excavated item is to be removed from the park, a collection permit is required.


  • Where can I go to cut my own Christmas tree?

    You can get a permit to cut your own Christmas tree at Cypress Hills Provincial Park, Castle Provincial Park and Castle Wildland Provincial Park. If you aren’t near to those two southern parks, you can get a tree cutting permit for many locations around the province in public lands.

    With the exception of permitted cutting in Cypress Hills Provincial Park and Castle Parks, any cutting of trees or disturbing of vegetation in provincial parks and recreation areas is strictly prohibited and carries a large fine.

    For any tree cutting activities, make sure you have a permit, follow the conditions provided and cut trees in the areas indicated on the map. Please report tree poaching in our provincial parks by speaking to park staff or emailing .

  • Where can I hold my wedding or reunion?

    • A special event permit is usually required to hold your wedding, reunion or other special event at a provincial park.
    • Check Special Events for more details and links to the special event permit application forms.
    • You may want to use a group camping area as part of your special event.  You should have your event approval before committing to a reservation so we recommend applying for a permit early.
    • For information on holding your event in a specific park or to apply for a permit
      1. Check the Park Research & Management page for the park (e.g. Aspen Beach or Hilliard's Bay).
      2. Note the Regional or District Office (Red Deer District in the case of Aspen Beach and Northwest Region for Hilliard's Bay).
      3. Find that office contact in the list of permit contacts

Reservation Changes and Cancellations

  • What are the refund rules?

    A refund is NOT given for weather, wildlife, insects, water quality, air quality, fire bans, liquor bans, car trouble, getting lost, advisories (with the exception of a campground closure), or in the case of an eviction.

    Why don't I get my reservation fee back when I cancel a reservation?

    • Reservation fees are retained to help offset the cost of providing reservation services.
    • Most provincial park agencies in Canada charge a non-refundable reservation fee.

    How long will it take to receive my refund?

    • Eligible refunds are processed as quickly as possible, usually within two weeks.
    • The refund is applied to the credit card used to make the original reservation.
    • For possible refunds, keep depleted prepaid cards even after expiry.

    Refunds will be made

    For more information on refunds, call the Contact Centre toll-free at 1-877-537-2757.

  • Can I change campsites after I've registered?

    • Yes - providing one is available. However, you must confirm availability with campground staff before occupying the new site. If the campground does not have staff on-site, phone the Contact Centre.
    • There is no additional charge for changing a campsite after registration; however, there may be additional camping fees if the new site is equipped with more amenities.

  • How much notice is required to cancel an individual camping reservation and receive a refund?

    • If you cancel more than 72 hours before 2 p.m. on the scheduled arrival date, you will receive a full refund of all camping fees (for example, if you are scheduled to arrive on Friday, July 8 and you cancel before 2 p.m. on Tuesday, July 5, you will receive a full refund of camping fees).
    • If 72 hours notice is not provided, up to three nights camping fees will be forfeited depending on how much notice is given. Any remaining camping fees will be refunded to the  card used for the original transaction.
      • 1 night penalty if less than 72 hours but greater than 48 hours notice before 2 p.m. of originally scheduled arrival date
      • 2 nights penalty if less than 48 hours but greater than 24 hours notice before 2 p.m. of originally scheduled arrival date
      • 3 nights penalty if less than 24 hours notice before 2 p.m. of originally scheduled arrival date
    • Reservations/Changes/Cancellations can be made

  • If I have to shorten my stay, will I get a refund?

    • To receive a full refund of your camping fees, cancellations must be made more than 72 hours before 2:00 p.m. of the originally scheduled arrival date.

  • Why don't I get my reservation fee back when I cancel a reservation?

    • The reservation and change fees are non-refundable administrative fees, which  help offset the cost of providing reservation services, including the development and maintenance of the websites and, as well as the Contact Centre, various merchant fees and staff resources.

  • How long will it take to receive my refund for a cancellation?

    • If you are eligible for a refund, it is initiated as soon as the information is entered into the system.
    • Refunds are processed as quickly as possible, usually within two weeks.
    • The refund is applied to the card used to make the original reservation.
    • For possible refunds, keep depleted prepaid cards even after expiry.

Rules and Regulations

Troubleshooting Reservations


  • What is a boil water advisory?

    A boil water advisory is issued when harmful germs (e.g., E. coli bacteria, giardia parasite)
    may be in a drinking water supply. Drinking water contaminated with these germs can
    make people and animals very sick. Boiling will kill the germs and make the water safe to
    drink. To learn more go to Alberta Health Services.

Information & Reservations

Contact Us

If you have feedback or questions:

Contact Us

Please note: Our response time varies depending on the volume of inquiries received.